Tuesday, January 23, 2007

SSL on alternative ports

There are penalties to trying to be too clever.

Having already set up an SSL VirtualHost for one client on my main PHP webserver, I decided to set up a second under a port other than the standard :443. This worked, and allowed for more than one SSL certificate to be used on that server without using additional IP's.

Unfortunately I soon began getting complaints from a few folks that the pages in question wouldn't load for them. Turns out several of them were coming from the same public library and another from a University account. So it appears that there are a significant number of people accessing sites from behind restrictive firewalls where SSL on an alternative port won't work.

Now I'll have to use additional IP's, something name-based VirtualHosting and HTTP 1.1 was designed to get around. Well, I tried. :-)

No comments: